TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USU MEMBERSHIP AND PARTICIPATION IN USU REWARDS PROGRAM
Please read the following Terms and Conditions carefully before completing your USU Membership or USU Rewards Program Application form. If you do not understand the Terms and Conditions or have questions in relation to them, please contact:
USU Info Hub
Level 1, Manning House
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
Phone: (02) 9563 6000
- These terms and conditions were last updated on 16 December 2019.
- The University of Sydney Union (USU) is the major non-academic service provider at the University of Sydney (USYD). In partnership with the University, USU provides social, cultural and intellectual programs and services that enhance the campus experience. Membership entitles the member to vote in USU elections, attend USU meetings, join or found USU clubs and societies, participate in USU programs, events and activities, run for election to USU Board and other benefits that the Board determines from time to time. Many USU services, events, programs and benefits are available exclusively to members.
- Membership of USU is voluntary.
- The USU Rewards Program (formerly known as the USU Access Rewards Program) is a program offered by USU that provides participants with a range of exclusive discounts, services and benefits that may be in addition to those offered as part of USU Membership.
- Participation of the USU Rewards Program is voluntary.
- USU may, at its discretion, offer a variety of USU Rewards Program options. These may be changed by USU from time to time.
- In 2020, the fee for USYD Students to join USU will be set at $0, notwithstanding any agreements that may be put in place between USU and other University of Sydney bodies from time to time.
- In 2020 the annual fee for all other people eligible for Membership will be set at $45
- In 2020 the annual fee for full time and part time students of the University enrolled in a degree or diploma course to participate in the USU Rewards Program will be set at $45. The USU Rewards Program is based on the period of 1 January to 31 December in any given year and the $45 fee covers that period. USU Rewards is not offered in the basis of a rolling annual period (e.g. from May 1 to April 30).
- In 2020 the fee for non-student USU Members wishing to participate in the USU Rewards Program will be incorporated into the Membership Fee ($45 in 2020).
- Residents of the University Colleges working in partnership with USU (i.e. St Paul’s College, St Andrew’s College, St John’s College, Sancta Sophia College, Women’s College, Wesley College, Mandelbaum House and International House), agree that by accepting the USU Rewards Program participation as part of their enrolment at the college, they agree to become a member of USU and to remain a member of USU whilst they are resident at that College.
- People ineligible to be a member of USU who wish to pay to participate in USU Rewards may do so, although the rights of USU Membership will not be available to them. For details of eligibility, please see the USU Constitution at www.usu.edu.au or 15. below. In 2020 the fee for such participation will be $45 for the current calendar year.
- Note that aspects of these terms and conditions cover non-members who choose to use USU’s products and services.
- Upon joining USU, members are issued with a barcoded identification (physical and/or digital app) for identification purposes. The identification is not transferable and remains the property of USU. Proof of Membership must be shown if requested and in order to take advantage of USU services and, as required, of those offered by our partners.
- The following persons are eligible for USU Membership:
USU REWARDS PROGRAM
- students enrolled in a course of study leading to the award of a degree or diploma from the University
- members of the full time, part time or casual staff of the:
- Students Representative Council
- Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association
- Sydney University Sport and Fitness
- residents and staff of student accommodation providers servicing the University not otherwise eligible for membership as board may prescribe from time to time
- persons enrolled in any non-award course conducted by the University, including any course conducted through the University's Centre for Continuing Education
- The Visitor of the University
- The Patron of the Union
- graduands of the University
- all Members of Convocation of the University as defined in section 14(1) of the University of Sydney Act
- persons appointed by Senate to the USU Board who are not otherwise eligible for membership
- persons enrolled in any course conducted by the USU;
- persons, who, having been a Member of the USU in the preceding year, have been granted permission to defer their study
- graduates and graduands of such other universities or educational institutions as the Board may, by Special Resolution from time to time, prescribe after consultation with the University
- Membership fees may be paid annually or for consecutive future membership years, to be determined by USU from time to time.
- Membership will remain valid until such time that the member:
- does not pay the relevant membership fee, as proscribed by the USU Board
- resigns their membership
- ceases to be eligible to be a member, in accordance with the USU constitution
- otherwise ceases to be a member, in accordance with the USU constitution
MEMBERSHIP AND PARTICIPATION REGISTRATION
- USU Rewards is a program administered by USU that entitles participants to certain benefits as offered by USU from time to time.
- The promoter of the USU Rewards Program is the University of Sydney Union ABN 73 818 179 759 of Level 5 Holme Building, Science Road, The University of Sydney, NSW, 2006.
- An applicant becomes a participant of the USU Rewards upon USU receiving a completed application form and payment of the relevant fee.
- All USU Rewards participants acknowledge and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. If there is any conflict between what is set out in the Terms and Conditions and anything a participant has been told by USU, its staff or its agents, the Terms and Conditions shall prevail.
- These Terms and Conditions are effective as at the date of publication. USU reserves the right to amend the Terms and Conditions from time to time. USU shall use all reasonable endeavours to advise participants of any such changes but shall not be liable in any way for any failure to do so.
- Each participant is responsible for remaining aware of the Terms and Conditions (as varied from time to time) available at usu.edu.au/terms-and-conditions.
- USU has your permission to contact you with relevant information regarding your Membership and relevant benefits by email, telephone, SMS, social media and post.
- Upon joining USU Rewards, participants will be issued with a barcoded identification (physical and/or digital app) for identification purposes. The identification is not transferable and remains the property of USU. This identification may be the same identification used for USU membership, if applicable.
- Proof of identity will be required to join USU and / or participate in USU Rewards and must be validated before a card is issued or an app is downloaded in your name.
- USU may, at its discretion, extend the period for which USU Rewards participation remains valid.
- People ineligible for USU Membership are not eligible for the rights associated with USU Membership, especially the right to attend or to vote at USU General Meetings or in USU Elections.
- For all USU Membership rights and current USU Rewards offers please visit USU website (www.usu.edu.au).
USU MEMBERSHIP AND USU REWARDS PARTICIPATION LIMITATIONS
- Application to join USU and/or USU Rewards can be made online at www.usu.edu.au, or in person at an on-campus sales point. Registration requires a photo that will be embedded in the USU App or printed onto the identification card. The photo must clearly identify the member or participant and no one else. Failure to provide a clear image may result in the suspension or cancellation of membership and or participation in USU Rewards. If there is an issue with the photo taken on the digital card via the app, contact the USU Info Hub immediately: Level 1, Manning House, Manning Road, University of Sydney, NSW, 2006, Phone: (02) 9563 6000, Email: email@example.com
- There is no charge to download the USU App or to have a physical card printed, however USU may charge an administration fee for members or participants requiring a replacement physical card.
- USU reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to refuse entry to the program to any applicant.
UNSUBSCRIBING FROM USU MEMBER AND USU REWARDS COMMUNICATIONS
- No USU member or USU Rewards participant is an agent, contractor, representative or partner of USU or Rewards Program by virtue merely of membership or participation.
- No USU member or USU Rewards participant has any power or authority to act for or to assume any obligation or responsibility on behalf of USU or USU Rewards, to bind USU or USU Rewards to any agreement, negotiate or enter into any binding relationship for or on behalf of USU or the USU Rewards or pledge the credit of USU or the USU Rewards except with the express written authority of USU.
USU MEMBERSHIP AND USU REWARDS PROGRAM CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- As a member of USU and/or participant in the USU Rewards program you will receive communications from USU from time to time. This communication may continue after your Membership or USU Rewards participation has expired.
- You may unsubscribe at any time using the unsubscribe function on any nominated communication method or by contacting the USU Info Hub– Address: Level 1, Manning House, Manning Road, University of Sydney, NSW, 2006, Phone: (02) 9563 6000, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
INDEMNITY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- USU Rewards refunds for full time and part time students of the University enrolled in a degree or diploma course:
- No refunds of any kind will be processed if the request is received after the University Census Date (March 31 for Semester 1; August 31 for Semester 2).
- USU Rewards refunds will only be processed if
- the student is withdrawing from study, transferring to another university or going on exchange; and
- the application is received before the applicable University Census Date.
- Pro rata refund rates will apply
- No refunds will be processed without official paperwork (e.g. university acceptance letters) that proves one of the above circumstances, and any physical card must be returned to the USU.
- Refunds are not available for change of mind, change of timetable or change of benefits.
- USU Rewards and/or USU Membership refunds for non-University of Sydney Students
- No refunds of any kind will be processed if the request is received after the University Census Date (March 31 for Semester 1; August 31 for Semester 2).
- Refunds will only be processed if the Member is retiring from the University or transferring to another University.
- In accordance with Article 5.5b of USU Constitution, USU members may resign their membership by presenting a notice of resignation signed by that member to the CEO. This resignation must contain the member’s full name and USU Member Number, and can be sent digitally to email@example.com.
- USU Membership may also be terminated if a member has:
- Failed to pay any sum outstanding to USU
- In the opinion of the Board been guilty of misconduct
- Ceased to be eligible for USU Membership
- USU reserves the right in its absolute discretion to suspend or terminate the participation in USU Rewards of any participant for breach of these Terms and Conditions or for any conduct that USU, in its discretion, deems to be unacceptable. In such cases, the participant will not be entitled to any refund of fees.
- USU reserves the right in its absolute discretion to withdraw, cancel, deny access to, or in any way change any of the benefits advertised or offered at any time and USU will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by participants resulting from such withdrawal, cancellation or change. USU shall have no liability to any person for any variation in the benefits offered under the Program.
CARD AND APP USE
- To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless USU, its officers, directors, employees, contractors or agents for any liabilities, claims, demands, losses, costs and expenses (including without limitation legal costs), or for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, punitive or consequential damages, whatsoever resulting from:
- any breach of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions; and
- your violation of any third party right, including but not limited to any intellectual property rights or privacy rights; and
- any claim or action brought or threatened by another person based on any facts which, if substantiated, would constitute a breach by you of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
- Some benefits offered as part of Rewards are provided by third parties. USU shall not be held liable for any loss or damage in relation to the products or services provided by third parties. Participants should make their own enquiries regarding the terms and conditions that apply to products or services offered by third parties.
- In all cases, the liability of USU for any default under any implied agreement compelled by any law is limited to the amount of the annual fee paid by the member.
LOST, STOLEN OR DAMAGED REWARDS CARDS
- All USU Members and USU Rewards participants will be issued a physical and/or digital card.
- The digital card can be found on the USU App which can be downloaded from the App Store for phones operating on iOS or Google Play for phones operating on Android.
- The app may contain links to third party web sites or services that are not owned or controlled by USU. USU has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites or services. You further acknowledge and agree that USU shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such websites or services.
- By using the app, you consent to providing USU with your mobile phone number and email address which may be used for marketing purposes in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- USU Rewards participants are entitled to obtain any applicable discounts for goods or services upon presentation of their USU Rewards identification. Discounts are not available under any circumstances except upon presentation of a valid USU Rewards identification. USU Rewards identification must be presented at the time of purchase or entry.
- Entry into an event is subject to the terms and conditions that apply to that particular event (including any imposed by the USU, an event promoter, or a venue owner). Possession of an USU Member or USU Rewards identification does not automatically admit an member or participant into an event.
- When making purchases online or over the phone, in order to receive the benefit, you must provide your USU Member or USU Rewards Identification.
- If you do not present your USU Member or USU Rewards identification at the time of purchase/entry, then you agree that USU is not liable for any claim by you for a refund. You agree that USU is also not liable for any claim of refund if a discount is not given by a partner after presenting your USU Member or USU Rewards identification at the time of purchase.
- You may only use your USU Member or USU Rewards identification for your own benefit. Your USU Member or USU Rewards identification is non-transferable and cannot be used by another person. You may not lend or otherwise give your identification to another person for their use.
- USU reserves the right to cancel your USU Membership and / or USU Rewards participation in the event of unauthorised use, including taking screen shots of your USU App.
- It is the members’ and participants’ responsibility to take care of their membership and USU Member or USU Rewards identification and keep them safe. USU must be notified if an identification has been lost, stolen or damaged.
- USU will replace lost, stolen or damaged cards for a fee of $5 for each replacement plastic card/s issued.
- For replacement cards (or in the case of a digital card, if your phone is lost or stolen), you should contact The USU Info Hub Level 1, Manning House, Manning Road, University of Sydney, NSW, 2006, Phone: (02) 9563 6000, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIRD PARTY OFFERS
- USU may, at its discretion, provide gifts or perk packs to members upon joining or rejoining USU Rewards.
- USU Rewards perk packs are only redeemable on payment of the appropriate USU Membership or USU Rewards participation fee.
- Strictly one pack per USU Rewards participant (subject to availability of promotional stock).
- Any USU Rewards participant who tampers with the perk pack process, or who fraudulently and dishonestly attempts to collect more than one pack will not receive a perk pack and may have their participation of the program and/or membership of USU cancelled.
- Perk packs are available strictly only while stocks last and are issued on a first come first served basis. Not all USU Rewards participants will necessarily receive a pack.
- USU is not liable if any perk pack is lost, stolen, damaged or tampered with in any way.
- Perk pack offers may change or be cancelled at any time without notice.
- USU makes every effort to ensure that perk pack material is up to date and accurate, but accepts no liability for any direct or indirect loss or damage arising from use of or reliance on that information, even if it is inaccurate or out of date.
- Perk packs cannot be transferred or exchanged.
- Perk pack value is calculated on the estimated dollar saving relating to each offer subject to compliance with the applicable offer terms and conditions.
INFORMATION AND PRIVACY
- Other than to the University, USU will not pass on your details for marketing purposes to any third party without your permission; however we will, from time to time, pass on to you offers or benefits on behalf of third parties.
- Some offers and benefits require USU Members or USU Rewards participants to register as a member with third parties. This is entirely at your discretion and in doing so, you may be communicated with directly by the third party; such communication is no longer within the control of USU. You may unsubscribe from these offers at any time by contacting the third party directly.
- All partner offers are subject to the individual terms and conditions of the partner and may change or be cancelled at any time without notice to you. Changes will be published as soon as reasonably possible on the Program website, currently at www.usu.edu.au.
- Partner participants in the Program may change at any time without notice. Notification of changes in partners will be displayed on the website (www.usu.edu.au) as soon as reasonably practicable.
- In making a purchase or accepting a partner offer, you enter into a contract directly with the partner concerned and not with USU.
- USU is committed to ensuring that the collection, accuracy, use, disclosure, de-identification and destruction of your details comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and National Principles.
- You have the right to view and correct or update your personal information by arrangement with the USU Info Hub (Level 1, Manning House, Manning Road, University of Sydney, NSW, 2006, Phone: (02) 9563 6000, Email: email@example.com or through any facility set up for Members and Participants online.
- By joining USU, and / or participating in USU Rewards, you agree that USU may use your personal information to keep you informed of specials, promotions, events, competitions, discounts and free offers from us and or our partners. You may be contacted via email, telephone, SMS and/or post where applicable. You may opt out of these communication paths at any time by giving USU notice in writing or by using the opt out / unsubscribe facilities on our promotional material.
- USU may use your information for its own planning, research, marketing and product and service development.
- USU communicates with its members and subscribers and keeps them informed via a number of communications paths and cannot be held responsible for any member not being aware of a special, promotion, event, competition, discount and/or free offer or any member failing to take advantage of that offer and/or missing out on an opportunity. You are responsible for informing USU of any change in your contact details.
- USU may share anonymous and aggregated membership information with current or prospective partners for the purpose of securing better offers for members, or with data analysis specialists, data mail houses, data processing organisations and specialist call centres for the purposes of improving existing or potential benefits. When such disclosures are made, your personal information will be protected through confidentiality agreements and/or other contractual obligations.
- Notwithstanding 80, USU may share your personal details with regulatory bodies; government agencies; law enforcement bodies and courts; and other parties to whom USU is authorised or required by law to disclose information, including the University of Sydney
- USU will take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from unauthorised access, misuse, modification and disclosure while stored or transmitted by it.
- If USU already holds any personal information about you, this may be because it was obtained from the University of Sydney with your authorisation when you enrolled with the University, by other means of authorisation, or because it was existing information obtained with permission through your previous USU membership registration.
- USU member and/or USU Rewards feedback is welcomed at any time via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- While USU makes every effort to ensure information about USU membership and USU Rewards participation is available, complete, accurate and up to date, it cannot guarantee this and accepts no liability whatsoever if any information is unavailable, incomplete, inaccurate or out of date.
- USU disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, regarding the handling of any of your information, including personal information, by any third party.