If you can’t find a club or society that suits your interests, why not start your own? All you need is an unique idea and 20 friends with USU Memberships.
How to start a new club
Step 1: Research & Prep
Does my club idea already exist? Check out the complete list of USU Clubs & Societies. If there is any doubt over whether your club idea overlaps with an existing club, you should reach out to them.
How unique are my club’s aims? When thinking about your club’s proposed aims it’s better to be specific about what it is you’ll be focusing on and doing, rather than broader aims about student life.
Step 2: Write a constitution
Download a copy of the C&S Model Constitution. The wording must not be changed or removed unless a section asks you to amend it. You may add clauses providing they are democratic and adhere to USU and the University of Sydney guidelines and policies.
Step 3: Find 20 Ordinary Members
Having 20 Ordinary Members demonstrates that there is demand for your club within the University of Sydney community. For the most part, an Ordinary Member is a student, graduate or staff member of the University of Sydney must have a valid USU membership.
Do not accept membership fees at this stage as they are only prospective members.
- Ordinary Members are those that are University of Sydney enrolled students or staff members or Alumni that have purchased USU membership and received a USU Membership Number.
- Associate Members are those not listed above but have purchased an USU Rewards Membership.
Step 4: Apply!
Your application will be reviewed by C&S Committee members once a month during semester. You will be contacted via email regarding the outcome of the application. If your club is accepted, the next step will be to organise an AGM with the help of our staff.
Proposed clubs will be required to meet the following criteria:
1. Will substantially contribute to the Objects of the Program
2. Will uphold the Principles of the Program
3. Is substantially different from existing clubs in the Program based on its aims, activities, and membership base
4. Will function primarily as an on-campus community
5. Is not controlled or substantially influenced by external organisations
Find the application form here! The deadline to submit your application for this Semester 2 is the 30th September 2022.
For more information on the application process, please contact USU Club Office.
Clubs and Societies Office
University of Sydney Union, Student Programs
T: (02) 9563 6118